Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Plot Thickens















The dying art of reading is unfortunate but I know my fellow bibliophiles are out there and I bet you would love to know where to find books for as little as 50 cents. I know the new thing is to read e-books and there is nothing wrong with that. I just love holding a new book, carrying it with me and admiring the artwork inside and on the cover. I have hundreds of books and it is a pastime of mine to search out books that I find interesting to fit into my collection. If a clean house tv crew were to come to my house I would tie myself to the books in order to save them. But buying books new is an endeavor I simply cannot afford.

Instead, at a thrift store you can find books from 50 cents to $1-2 each. Some other ways to find cheap books are yard sales and library sales. Ask your local library - I’m sure they have summer book sales. Also, there are discount bookstore chains, such as www.halfpricebooks.com where one can find a wider array of books for half the price or less. I have found books ranging from antique, classic novels everyone should own, silly books, cookbooks to reference materials. You never know when you might need a quotation reference book for a paper or a homemade card. Also, one of the best ways to save money is on children’s books. If you’re a teacher (or a Mom), I know most of the materials you use come straight out of your pocket. I am a Substitute Teacher and I have even found lesson plan books and educational worksheet books for 50 cents each. At most thrift stores children’s books are around 50 cents each and not usually over $2, unless it is a collectible. One can find newer books, classics, educational books, dictionaries and even singing books. One could get 100 books for $50, or, every year you can add 10 books to your library for $5 a year!

For adults you can find recent best-sellers, reference, DIY, cookbooks, self-help books and more for $1-2. The best reason to shop at a thrift store is you can find rare and out-of-print books. I am still angry with myself for not buying Disney’s “Our Friend, the Atom,” from the 1950’s. This book is worth anywhere from $20-70 as a collectible, not to mention how interesting it was.

The downfall of shopping at a thrift store is you have to take your time to look. There simply is not enough time to adhere to the Dewey Decimal system when putting out new product in a thrift store, as they typically receive 4-6 cartloads of books in each day. Also, if you’re a reseller of books, this is the best way to maximize your profits and if the book doesn’t sell, you’re only out a couple of bucks. A site I have been meaning to try out is www.alibris.com and, of course, www.amazon.com. This would also be a great way to start your own book club. Each person in your group could buy a book at $1-2 each and trade each book weekly until each person has read each book, donate the books and start over again. It really doesn’t have to cost that much money to get involved, keep up with a hobby and pass it on…

No comments:

Post a Comment